This course has been designed for individuals who are required to wear breathing apparatus in a hazardous atmosphere, usually in the fire sector. This unit will cover working in a variety of hazardous environments and managing situations such as exhaustion of air supply, entrapment, and malfunctioning equipment as a member of a team.
This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to select, conduct pre-donning checks and tests on breathing apparatus, operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in a hazardous atmosphere, and conclude operations as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Must hold the pre-requisite unit PUAFIR210 Prevent injury (* only if undertaking training related to the fire sector)
- Participants must be clean shaven to attend the course.
- The literacy and numeracy competencies to be able to read testing equipment and determine the available working time from a breathing apparatus set
- The physical capability to wear and work in a breathing apparatus and associated equipment in a range of hazardous conditions
* The fire sector is those sections of government departments, statutory authorities or organisations that have responsibility under jurisdictional arrangements for the delivery of firefighting and fire management services.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Performance tasks and practical scenarios:
- Pre-donning checks, test procedures and fault reporting
- Concluding operation techniques
- Confined space reduced visibility work
- Operate BA in adverse conditions
- Completion of an Equipment Fault Log
- Label breathing apparatus components
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.