If you are an occupant who is required to be ‘emergency aware’ in a facility, then this course is a must for you.
It covers the skills and knowledge required by occupants in a facility such as a building, structure or workplace, as specified in Australian Standard (AS) 3745 and AS 4083 to recognise and report emergencies, respond to emergency warnings and advice and to take appropriate action during the emergency such as choosing the most appropriate course of action and evacuating from a danger area.
All aspects of this course will be undertaken in accordance with legislative requirements, organisational policies and procedures and accepted safe practices.
Participants in this course will also learn how to effectively:
- Apply Work, Health and Safety (WHS)/Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements, including identifying hazards and controlling risks
- Comply with legislation, industry standards, codes of practice and regulations
- Follow facility emergency procedures and direction of emergency control organisation members and/or attending emergency services
- Identify and evacuate occupants who may require assistance
- Maintain their own safety and the safety of others in emergency situations
- Participate in emergency response exercises including briefings, debriefings, simulations, reviews and desk top drills
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have the physical capacity to complete all practical demonstrations. This includes preparing and evacuating a building and providing assistance as required.
Pre-course study: Students may be required to undertake online pre-course work prior to attending the face to face session depending on the course delivery mode.
Online study: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic device with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Performance tasks :
- Prepare for an emergency situation
- Respond and follow instructions for a fire emergency
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of short-answer and multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.